Thursday, November 14, 2013

Pine Wood Derby 2013

Daniel is the cub scout master in our ward - He has been cub scout Master since Septmeber but the barley just called him a couple of weeks ago! 

Last week was the pine wood Derby. He really wanted to give the boys trophies after they raced their cars. BUT, he only has $40 budget. That includes the treat, rewards and activity...So what do you do with that kind of budget? Your wife gets on pinterest and starts searching. 

I wish I had taken a picture of everything that I did but, I ran out of time and was just finishing up before Daniel had to be there. 

I found a really cute pine of hot wheel cars painted gold and glued to a plaque. Gold spray paint was NOT in the budget. I found a square piece of wood at hobby lobby, and painted it the boy scout blue. We found some hot wheel cars at Walmart that were racing cars (they all had a number on the side) and I left them unpainted and hot glued then to the wood. Then I had a gold paint maker that I used to right down what trophy it was and the year. There was a trophy for fastest car, best paint job, and best design. Then more trophy's that were for everyone else - we wanted to make sure that every boy received a trophy. I think the total for this was $16.00. 

 I also made a medal for all the boys. I just took tin foil and wrapped it around a Ding Dong. Then I hot glued Ribbon onto it. This cost about $8.00


For the refreshment they had Milk - Racing Fuel, Oreo Cookies - Tires, and Water - Gasoline. For each treat, I took a hot wheel car (that my kids had duplicates of, or were already broken) and drilled a hole in the top. Then I placed a small wooden dowel in the hole, and made a little sign. I also took a bigger car that we had that was broken, drilled two holes in it and placed a sign in it that said, "Pine Wood Derby". I connected the two signs with string and made a banner with some strip Washi Tape I had.  They only money that was spent on this was for the Milk and Oreo's $20.00
*I got a picture of the signs but not of the finished product!

 We went over budget by $4.00, Which I think is pretty good! 

I thought everything turned out really cute and ALL the boys loved their prizes. We had the Dad compete too, and the Dad's even liked the prizes they received!! I love doing crafts like this and it was fun to help Daniel out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment